Before the semester started, God told me to "turn the television off" in the living room at the house and I was all for it. I wasn't sure if I was just trying to push my own agenda because I've always had issues against media and television. God was just highlighting all of the benefits of what shutting the television down would bring.
And as I approached Jeremy with what I thought I was hearing from the Lord, though he had hesitations, he accepted it as something that would benefit the house as a whole. He was just concerned about the students' reactions. So as a unit, we approached our council team of leadership students with the idea and the benefits. Though they had reservations as well, they saw it as a good idea and brought in some counter-ideas like opening up one of the side rooms for television watching on the weekends, and allowing groups to watch films together. One of our council members went one step further and rearranged the furniture in the living room to offset the television, no longer making it the focal point.
I feel strongly we were breaking a sort of idolatry. As we set up the living room to foster good conversation and community instead of it just being about the screen on the wall, we were taking actions on what we said we valued - TRUE COMMUNITY.
Almost every night so far this semester Jeremy and I have gone to sleep not hearing the television blaring in the living room next to our room, but instead students laughing and having encouraging conversations! It's such a delight!
May we continue to choose the blessing of obedience, rather than the curse in all of our decisions for the house.
Deuteronomy 11:26-28 (NLT) "Look, today I am giving you the choice between a blessing and a curse! You will be blessed if you obey the commands of the Lord your God that I am giving you today. But you will be cursed if you reject the commands of the Lord your God and turn away from him and worship gods you have not known before."
No comments:
Post a Comment